WHAT WE LOOK FOR
Articles submitted for consideration should be of interest to readers - Soitsfun, have a tone that is appropriate for Soitsfun, and be written by a person, PR department or rewriter . They may not be violent, sexual, religious or politically topical. "No fun" you say? Well it just goes to show how much work we have to do in order to build and support happier lifestyles in our community. We want Evergreen content that is lives on in support of the individuals and community you live in.
We like articles that introduce new ideas and advance conversations around social, dance and recreational topics and trends that engage people in building community groups – think op-ed rather than content marketing. We appreciate lively, polished writing that balances research or news with fun and memorable anecdotes or personal examples that help illustrate your point of view.
While we encourage drawing from your own experiences to support your ideas, over-the-top self-promotion (of yourself or your company) will prevent us from publishing your article. This is not about you, it is about what you have seen through participation and are able to verify. The same goes for dense jargon and abstract, blanket assertions. Keep it simple - after all, we are all amateurs at living and writing Soitsfun!
Please no pitches, abstracts, outlines, press releases, or interview offers.
Soitsfun prefers submissions from members and contributors who are leaders in and knowledgeable about the subjects and topics we regularly cover within our categories: community, social, dance, recreation, sports, lifestyles, health, creativity, travel, work and play culture, work-life issues and policies, entrepreneurship, and innovation are popular with our readers, especially if there’s a salient takeaway for businesses or other communities. The community scope is huge and there is a story for the observant every time you walk out the door.
To get an idea of the types of stories Soitsfun wants to publish, please read “How To Write Soitsfun Pieces That Get Published And Don’t Make Readers or Editors Want To Die”.
HOW TO WRITE FOR SOITSFUN
- The subject must be about the people, business, events and activities that bring community together through social dance, recreation or marketing group endeavors.
- Format every blog post - Careful formatting will make your blog posts easier for people to scan.
- Use Headers and Sub-headers - Headers and sub-headers will break up long blog posts, help people scan read your blog and convince them to read the post.
- Use lists - Numbered lists or bullet pointed lists help people scan blog posts fast and find the information they're looking for quickly.
- Use punctuation - Use full stops, commas, dashes and colons to break up each paragraph into smaller pieces of information that make sense quickly.
- Linkbacks - You may use one link back to a business and one to a key individual or group involved. Remember this is about the event or activity that surrounds and involves people.
- Short paragraphs - Because reading is harder online it's best to break text into manageable chunks. Paragraphs should be much shorter online than on paper with two to six sentences per paragraph a good guideline for blog posts.
- Be bold - Don't overuse bold text or it loses its effectiveness.
- Drop the italics - Italics are hard to read in print.
- Capital letters - Use capitals for proper nouns and at the beginning of sentences but avoid writing all in capitals because it's harder to read.
- White space - Readers need somewhere to rest the eye and a good blog layout leaves plenty of blank space.
- Background color - Most blogs and websites get the contrast between text color and background color right, but make sure your blog background doesn't make the text hard to read.
- Use images - They tell a vivid story - Good use of images will draw readers into your blog posts.
- Be consistent - You don't know how readers found your blog. You can't be sure if they arrived straight at your latest post, on your about page or via an archived post. You can't know which order people will read your blog in so every post you write needs to tell the same story about you, your message, your blog and your values.
- Tell a story
HOW TO SUBMIT
You must be a member of our online community with a completed bio. Your submitted articles must be 450-900 words. We cannot offer to pay for contributed stories in the beginning, but if they’re engaging to read and useful and inform your readers - our audience, we will energetically promote them, just like any other story that runs on our site.
How do we pay?
Once you are familiar with our format and have successfully published two articles with Soitsfun, your online status with us will be raised to "author" and you will be able to add and edit directly your own articles. You will be required to Register a full bio in our online community as a contributor/author and will be will be offered author status and access to the online editors.
Payment will begin following the publication of your third article by Soitsfun Media Inc.. Payment will begin at $25.00 per 450-700 word article with supporting image (600x400). Articles or assignments larger than 1000 words will be paid on a "per word" basis. Special assignment or commissions will be negotiated under separate agreement.
Send via email complete, unpublished articles only, intended strictly for Soitsfun‘s categories, to Editorial Assistant in our contacts section. Please no pitches, abstracts, outlines, press releases, or interview offers. Please no phone calls.
Soitsfun‘s other sections do not regularly review submissions, but if you feel you have a story that’s well-suited for another section, please submit your completed article to the appropriate editor for consideration.
WHAT TO EXPECT IF WE ACCEPT
Submissions are reviewed approximately once a week, and the process is selective. Due to volumes, we’re often unable to respond to all submissions. If you don’t receive a response within two weeks of submitting, it’s safe to assume that your piece was not selected for publication at this time. Following up will not speed our review or improve the likelihood of a story’s acceptance. We’re unable to give feedback about why a submission may not have been selected for publication.
For stories we do choose to publish:
- All articles are subject to editing.
- Headlines and subheads are subject to change.
- Content may be edited for style, tone, or substance.
- Links may be added for context.
- Art or images will be added at the discretion of Soitsfun staff.
- Articles may or may not be promoted across Soitsfun‘s homepage, in our newsletters, and via our social feeds.
- Soitsfun may permit a select number of partner outlets to syndicate contributed articles that we’ve published originally.
- Soitsfun requests that contributed articles remain exclusive to our site for three to five business days, after which time they may be reprinted in part or full on other sites, with a link back to the original article on Soitsfun.
Contributed articles run online.