We respect the EU’s General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and voluntarily commit Soitsfun.com to this policy. Here we explain how we collect and treat any information you give us. You won’t find any complicated legal terms or long passages of unreadable text. Our purpose is to promote positive social development with-in all communities.
Our policy covers:
Why we value your privacy
We value your privacy as much as we do our own, so we’re committed to keeping your personal and business information safe. We’re uncomfortable with the information companies, governments, and other organisations keep on file, so we ask for only the bare minimum from our customers. We’ll never use your personal information for any reason other than why you gave it, and we’ll never give anyone access to it unless we’re forced to by law.
- When we say ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘Soitsfun’ it’s because that’s who we are and we own and run the Site.
The type of personal information we collect
- We collect certain personal information about visitors and users of our Sites.
- The most common types of information we collect include things like: user-names, member names, email addresses, Author contact information, IP addresses, other contact details, survey responses, blogs, photos, support queries, forum comments, content you direct us to make available on our Sites (such as item descriptions) and web analytics data.
How we collect personal information
- We collect personal information directly when you provide it to us, automatically as you navigate through the Sites, or through other people when you use services associated with the Sites.
- We collect personal information you provide to us when you complete membership registration, become an author, subscribe to a newsletter, email list, submit feedback, enter a contest, fill out a survey, or send us a communication.
Personal information we collect about you from others
- Although we generally collect personal information directly from you, on occasion when required, we also collect additional categories of personal information about you from other sources. In particular:
- financial and/or transaction details from payment providers located in the US, and Canada in order to process a transaction;
- third party service providers (like Google) who are located in the US, which may provide information about you when you link, connect, or login to your account with the third party provider and they send us information such as your registration and profile from that service, this only occurs if you are using the authentication. The information varies and is controlled by that service provider or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service provider; and
- other third party sources/ and or partners from Canada, or US, whereby we receive additional information about you (to the extent permitted by applicable law), such as demographic data or fraud detection information. For example, fraud warnings from service providers like identity verification service. We also receive information about you as a rights holder from our third party authors. For example, information in the form of a story, photo or model release when your article or image is used in an item made available on our Portal Webzine.
How we use personal information
- We will use your personal information:
- To identify users and contributors, or in steps linked to a contract: in particular, in facilitating and processing transactions that take place on the Site, like where you purchase advertising.
- Where this is necessary for purposes which are in our, or third parties (ie: PayPal), legitimate interests. These interests include:
- operating the Site;
- providing you with services described on the Site;
- verifying your identity when you sign in to our Site;
- responding to support tickets, and helping facilitate the resolution of any disputes;
- updating you with operational news and information about our Site and services e.g. to notify you about changes to our Site, website disruptions or security updates;
- carrying out technical analysis to determine how to improve the Site and services we provide;
- monitoring activity on the Site, e.g. to identify potential fraudulent, hate activity, or "Fake News" and to ensure compliance with the user terms that apply to the Site;
- managing our relationship with users, authors and contributors e.g. by responding to your comments or queries submitted to us on the Site or asking for your feedback or whether you want to participate in a survey;
- managing our legal and operational affairs (including, managing risks relating to Fake content and fraud matters);
- training Soitsfun staff about how to best serve our user community;
- improving our product and services.
- providing general administrative and performance functions and activities; and
- Where you give us consent:
- providing you with marketing information about activities, events, and services which we feel may interest you; and
- For purposes which are required by law.
- For the purpose of responding to requests by government, a court of law, or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
- We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, as long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety.
Where we transfer and/or store your personal information
- We are based in British Columbia, Canada so your data will be processed and stored in Canada. We do this on the basis of your consent to this policy. In order to protect your information, we take care where possible to work with engineers, subcontractors and service providers who we believe maintain an acceptable standard of data security in compliance by the EU (G.D.P.R), and eventually in North America.
How we keep your personal information secure
- We store personal information on secure servers that are managed by us and our service providers, and occasionally hard copy files that are kept in a secure location in Canada. Personal information that we store or transmit is protected by security and access controls, including username and password authentication, two-factor authentication, and data encryption where appropriate.
How you can access your personal information
- You can access some of the personal information that we collect about you by logging in to your account. You also have the right to make a request to access other personal information we hold about you and to request corrections of any errors in that data. You can also close the account you have with us for any of our Sites at any time. To make an access or correction request, contact our privacy champion using the contact details at the end of this policy.
Marketing Choices regarding your personal information
- Where we have your consent to do so (e.g. if you have subscribed to one of our e-mail lists or have indicated that you are interested in receiving offers or information from us), we send you communications by email about events, products or services that we feel may be of interest to you. You can ‘opt-out’ of such communications if you would prefer not to receive them in the future by using the “unsubscribe” facility provided in the communication itself.
- You also have choices about cookies, as described below. By modifying your browser preferences, you have the choice to accept all cookies, to be notified when a cookie is set, or to reject all cookies. If you choose to reject cookies some parts of our Sites may not work properly in your case.
Cookies (not the type you eat!) and web analytics
- When you visit our Site, there’s certain information that’s recorded which is generally anonymous information and does not reveal your identity. If you’re logged into your account some of this information could be associated with your account. We’re talking about the following kinds of details:
- your IP address or proxy server IP address’;
- the your community vanity name you requested;
- the name of your internet service provider is sometimes captured depending on the configuration of your ISP connection;
- the date and time of your visit to the website;
- the length of your session;
- the pages which you have accessed;
- the file URL you look at and information relating to it;
- the website which referred you to our Site; and
- the operating system which your computer uses.
Information about children
- Our Site is green and meant to be suitable for everyone; however we direct our focus on social, dance and recreational activities for adults 19 years of age or greater. You may browse the Site but if not 18 years of age you’ll need the supervision of a parent or guardian to become a registered user. If you think your child has given out personal information without your knowledge, feel free to contact us immediately.
Information you make public or give to others
How long we keep your personal information
When we need to update this policy
- We will need to change this policy from time to time in order to make sure it stays up to date with the latest legal requirements and any changes to our privacy management practices.
- When we do change the policy, we’ll make sure to notify you about such changes, where required. A copy of the latest version of this policy will always be available on this page.
How you can contact us
If you’re a user or visitor to or from the European Economic Area these rights also apply to you:
- For the purposes of applicable EU data protection law (including the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), we are a ‘data controller’ of your personal information.
How you can access your personal information
- You are also entitled to ask us to port your personal information (i.e. to transfer in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, to you), to erase it, or restrict its processing. You also have rights to object to some processing that is based on our legitimate interests, such as profiling that we perform for the purposes of geographical marketing for social, activities or events, and, where we have asked for your consent to process your data, to withdraw this consent as more fully described below.
- These rights are limited in some situations – for example, we can demonstrate that we have a legal requirement to process your personal information. In some instances, this means that we may retain some data even if you withdraw your consent.
- Where we require your personal information to comply with legal or contractual obligations, then provision of such data is mandatory: if such data is not provided, then we will not be able to manage our contractual relationship with you, or to meet obligations placed on us. In all other cases, provision of requested personal information is optional.
- If you have unresolved concerns you also have the right to complain to data protection authorities. The relevant data protection authority will be the data protection authority of the country: (i) of your habitual residence; (ii) of your place of work; or (iii) in which you consider the alleged infringement has occurred.
Data Protection Rights
You have the following data protection rights:
- You are free to update, correct and access the information provided to Soitsfun at any given time, from the member’s area.
- You can opt out of marketing emails from Soitsfun at any time, from the member’s area. Or, click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in Soitsfun’s marketing emails.
- You can request the deletion of your personal information, by accessing the Members Area. Do note though, it will take up to 30 days to complete the deletion process. Your email address will be kept on file to avoid creation of fake accounts and duplication, unless you request to have that removed as well.